Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patty's Day


Happy St. Patrick's Day!! Hopefully, you remembered to wear green today, otherwise you probably found yourself being pinched a time or two, my dear lassie. I'm not sure if adults really do the whole pinching thing much anymore, but kids sure do, and if you found yourself in an elementary school without green on, you were in trouble. I am not irish (well, I guess I have a little in me) and I don't go and drink the night away, but I do like to dress up for the day. It probably helps that my absolute favorite color is green, so today just gives me another reason to wear all my green clothes. I guess I am lucky to have green eyes, so I would have been safe from all pinches even if I would have forgot to wear anything green.
I thought it would be fun to test my knowledge of "All Things Irish", so I took this fun quiz! I didn't do so well though. I only got 1 out of 10 correct. Yikes!
Here's a few fun facts about St. Patrick's Day I thought I would share:
1. The original color of this day was blue, not green.

2. The largest St. Patrick's Day parade is held in New York City every year.

3. A lot of cities and towns dye their rivers and fountains green for the day.

4. St. Patty's Day is known for being a religious holiday in Ireland, and pubs were mandated to be closed on this day. It wasn't until 1970 that the law changed.
5. The shamrock is considered a symbol for the rebirth of spring.


6. Leprechauns have nothing to do with St. Patrick's Day. Thanks to the 1959 Walt Disney movie, Darby O' Gill and the Little People, which made leprechauns seem cheery and fun, the leprechaun started to evolve into the holiday and a symbol of Ireland.

I hope you had a fun St. Patty's Day!!

No comments: