Tuesday, June 16, 2009

School's Out for the Summer!

Last Wednesday was the LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!!! All the teachers stood outside singing "Na na na na, Na na na na, Hey Hey Hey, Goodbye" and waving their hands as all the buses drove off with the students. I spent the last 5 weeks of the school year teaching at Seaton Elementary in the 6th grade Language Arts class. Their regular teacher was off on maternity leave, so I got chosen to fill in for her.


I spent my 5 weeks there teaching poetry and the fantasy genre. The big project for the end of the year was for the students to write their own fantasy story. I also read "Ella Enchanted" aloud to the class! They loved it!!! We watched the movie the last 2 days of school.
Not only did I get to teach, but I also made some good friends with the parapro in my room, Kathy, and the 6th grade Math teacher, Becky. Both were huge helps to me and I'm so happy I got to work with them.
I got to be a part of a big step in 67 kids lives. Going from elementary school to the "big" junior high is quite a big ordeal. I got to take part in the school's Life Skills carnival, the 6th grade class picnic, and Field Day!! On the last day of school, I got to give out Honor Roll awards to my students at the Awards Ceremony. I hope I made some sort of impact on these guys, even though I was only there for 5 weeks.

Halle finished 1st grade this year as well!!! I can't believe I have a 2nd grader on my hands now!! WOW!! We were extremely proud of her as she got a "1" in every category on her report card ("1" stands for "advanced").
She came home with "Creative Writer" award, the "Got all A's on her spelling tests" award, and holds the record for girls on the "Sit and Reach" in gym!! We were totally impressed!! She also brought home a caterpillar in a container, and it has since put itself in it's chrysalis. So, we're expecting it to become a butterfly sometime within the next 2 weeks.
2 days after school was out, she came down with a horrible stomach flu, and she missed her very first piano recital!!! We are planning on having everyone over to the house soon and we will have our own recital just for her!! We can't have all her hard work going to waste!!
SUMMER is here and we're totally enjoying it!!!! We've swam every day, played outside, rode horses, shopped, grilled out, and stayed in our pj's til noon (and we've only been on break for 6 days).

I am TOTALLY enjoying my break!!!!

1 comment:

Betsy said...

I'm so glad you got to sub in that class! I hope you can get something permanent soon. You will be such a great teacher!

You summer sounds like so much fun already! Summer is THE BEST!!