Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Thorny Bushes

Well, I haven't been able to get on my blog for the last week or so because we have been moving and we haven't gotten our computer hooked up yet. I am actually at my parent's house right now, so I thought I would write a little.
We made it to Michigan safely. It was a long trip!!! We left Charlotte, NC at 3:00pm on Friday afternoon and got into Lapeer, MI at 11am Saturday. We tried to sleep at a rest stop for a few hours, but you can never get comfortable in your car to sleep. I think Brad and I got about 2 hours of sleep. We were exhausted!!! We didn't even begin to unload the moving truck until Sunday afternoon. We got everything we needed out and unpacked and put the rest of our junk into a storage unit. You really don't realize how much crap you have until you move. It was amazing how many boxes and bags we filled up. We honestly didn't think we would ever get everything packed. We are extremely glad that is all over.

Brad has already started working for my aunt. He is busy putting an addition on her house, building a huge porch, reroofing, painting a barn, and drywalling the entire interior of the house. He will be busy with that until the end of summer at least. He already has a bunch of other jobs lined up that he can work on when school starts too, so that is a great answer to prayer.

I will be working at my aunt's house as well here shortly, but until then, I am just doing odd and end jobs too. Today, Todd and I spent all day pulling weeds and thorny bushes out at my father-in-law's office. We started with the weeds that were at least 1.5 feet tall. There were 100's of them. It's amazing how strong the roots of a weed are. We both mentioned that we wouldn't have weeds if Adam and Eve hadn't sinned in the garden. We then moved to the areas where we needed to pull these dead bushes out. We didn't realize that they were covered with thorns until our hands started getting pricked a ton!!! It was hard work. At one point we were pulling this huge root out and we just could not get it. Todd is a strong guy, but it definitely didn't want to come out. We both just started busting out laughing because he was pulling with all his strength and I was trying to chop away at the roots as fast as I could. We must have looked hilarious. We definitely had some good times today, although it was hard work. We didn't get it finished, so we will be back at it tomorrow.

Here's a few good lessons that I learned today:

1.Don't let your weeds grow until they are taller than you

2. Don't plant thorny bushes in your yard or business place EVER because it's a pain to weed around them

3. Don't ever plant those bushes that spread all over the ground. They are also a pain to weed in and look horrible when they begin to die.

4. Don't ever let an actual professional Landscape Architect plan your business' landscape. They obviously rip you off by planting really weird plants that are thorny and that die, so you end up having to rip them out anyways. The thorny plants must be the cheapest around so the architect can make a better profit by planting cheap plants and still charging alot.

5. Always have a BIG shovel with you at all times!! We learned that the hard way.
PS. I took some pics of us moving and I will take some pics of our "weeding" work tomorrow. I will hopefully get them posted soon!

1 comment:

Betsy said...

I'm glad ya'll made it to Michigan safely, Kellie!! We already miss you, but I'm looking forward to keeping up with you through your blog.

Those thorny bushes sound pretty scary! :) You are a hard worker!